Two Zimbabweans missing in DRC – Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Two Zimbabweans missing in DRC – Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Harare, August 1, 2019 (New Ziana)-The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade on Thursday said two Zimbabweans were missing in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

In a statement, the ministry’s spokesperson Shepherd Gwenzi said Nephias Ruduvo, who works for a Canadian mining firm was kidnapped by bandits in the DRC while Charles Mudzinganyama, a truck driver, went missing after leaving his truck to relieve himself and never came back.

“A driver with a Zimbabwean company, Sabot, Charles Nyasha Mudzinganyama is missing in the DRC, within areas that borders Angola and Congo Brazzaville. Mudzinganyama was part of a convoy of 12 trucks that left Harare on 15 July 2019 and arrived in Busaga, DRC on the same day. It is said that he left all his particulars and money in the truck on the assumption that he was to relieve himself but never came back.

“The Ministry has contacted our Embassies in Angola and DRC, and is working also with the Human Resources Manager at Sabot, to render all possible assistance in establishing the whereabouts of Mudzinganyama,” he said.

The other missing national, Ruduvo is said to have been kidnapped by armed bandits in the South Kivu Province, DRC.

“Ruduvo is a Survey Superintendent working for Canadian Mining Company, Banro Corporation. A DRC army spokesperson, on 29 July 2019, confirmed that a Zimbabwean national was abducted along with his workmates (one from South Africa and two Congolese), and confirmed a manhunt had been launched to secure their release,” said the Ministry.

According to the Zimbabwean embassy in Kinshasa, Ruduvo and his colleagues were now being held hostage with the kidnappers’ leader advising the Governor of Maniema of their demands.

The kidnappers are reportedly demanding the release from prison of members of their community, and fulfillment of the mining company’s corporate social responsibility to their community.

“The Embassy in Kinshasa has also written to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DRC to get more information on efforts being made to resolve the situation,” said Gwenzi.
New Ziana

New Ziana

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares
error

Enjoyed our Newspapers? Please spread the word :)