Covid-19 second wave worries govt
Harare, (New Ziana) – Government said on Tuesday it has strengthened surveillance systems amid worries about a possible second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Zimbabwe has in the past two weeks witnessed an increase in the number of new infections which jumped to 294 from 109 the previous week.
“To guard against a second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak, Government through the Ministry of Health and Child Care, is strengthening surveillance and health information management in order to ensure an efficient and effective system to counter such an eventuality,” Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minster, Monica Mutsvangwa told a post-Cabinet briefing.
“Furthermore, awareness campaigns will focus on community engagement using community leaders with support from sub-national structures to foster community responsibility and enforce COVID-19 preventative and precautionary measures.”
To date Zimbabwe has since March this year recorded 257 deaths and 8 897 infections, with a recovery rate of 92 percent.
Meanwhile, Cabinet resolved that schools that record Covid-19 cases but have no testing facilities must be immediately closed until the situation is contained.
The decision came as reports indicated that 100 students had tested positive for the coronavirus at John Tallach Secondary School in Matabeleland North province.
All students have since returned to school for the third term under a phased approach, although the number of those currently attending is very low, according to figures from government.
Some parents different reasons, including fear of their children being infected have kept them at home.
Mutsvangwa said learner attendance for examination classes currently stands at 51.5 percent, while for students who returned under phase 2 is at 35.3 percent and 24.6 percent for those who returned under phase three.
“Teacher attendance has remained below optimal level with the overall teacher attendance for the week standing at 30 percent, compared to 25.7 percent recorded last week,” she said.
The educators, who declared incapacity to attend classes due to low salaries, are however expected to return to work after striking a pay deal with government on Monday.