Harare,(New Ziana)-The Ministry of Health and Child Care said on Thursday it had placed at least 129 people on a watch list for coronavirus after they arrived in Zimbabwe from countries with confirmed cases of the deadly disease.
It said the move was intended to monitor their health, and this was being done from their homes.
More than 100 people have died from the coronavirus in China, where it originated from, with confirmed infections quickly surging to more than 6 000 worldwide.
In an update, the Ministry said people who had came into the country between 25 and 28 January from countries with confirmed cases were being monitored daily until February 7th, 2020.
“Screening of passengers arriving from China and other countries with confirmed 2019-nCOV transmission commenced on the 25th of January 2020.
“As of 28th January 2020, 129 travellers arriving in Zimbabwe from countries with confirmed coronavirus transmission have been documented.
None of these travellers had symptoms suggestive of coronavirus infection on arrival. They are being monitored daily by health workers to determine the development of any suggestive symptoms. Daily monitoring will be completed on 7 February 2020,” said the Ministry.
Health and Child Care Minister Obadiah Moyo said while no cases of coronavirus had been reported, the country had responded by training key personnel at its two infectious disease hospitals in Harare and Bulawayo on ways to manage the deadly virus.
According to the World Health Organisation, in confirmed cases of illness in humans, common symptoms of coronavirus have been serious respiratory illness with fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties.
Based on current clinical experience, the infection generally presents as pneumonia.