Harare, (New Ziana) – The Ministry of Health and Child Care said on Tuesday the number of people it has placed on the coronavirus watch list after arriving in Zimbabwe from countries with confirmed cases of the deadly disease has shot up to 506.
The number has almost quadrupled from the 129 from last Thursday.
Placement of the people on the watch list was intended to monitor their health, and this was being done from their homes.
In an update, Ministry said Zimbabwe still had not recorded a case of the novel coronavirus.
“The country still remains safe for travelers and screening continues at all points of entry into Zimbabwe,” it said.
“All travelers from China and other 2019-nCoV are being screened.”
The virus, which originated from China, has so far killed 427 people, with only 2 deaths so far recorded outside mainland China, while the number of infected globally is now estimated at over 20 000.
According to the World Health Organisation, in confirmed cases of illness in humans, common symptoms of coronavirus have been serious respiratory illness with fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties.
Based on current clinical experience, the infection generally presents as pneumonia.
The Ministry of Health reiterated its plea to Zimbabweans who intend to travel to China, especially for non-essential travel, to defer their visits until the outbreak has been declared over.