Maputo (AIM-New Ziana) –Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi has said he is open to “any kind of support” in the fight against armed violence in Cabo Delgado (northern Mozambique).
“We are open to any kind of support which may be given in the context of terrorism,” he said during the closing ceremony of military courses at the Lieutenant-General Armando Emílio Guebuza Superior Institute for Defence Studies (ISEDEF).
“Terrorism cannot be fought unilaterally,” President Nyusi said.
“We have been working bilaterally with the countries of Europe, America, Asia and Africa, including those in the Southern African Development Community region (SADC), with concrete signs and actions taking place in this regard,” he said.
On September 16 this year, Mozambican Foreign Affairs and Cooperation Minister Verónica Macamo, wrote a letter to the high representative of the European Union for Foreign Policy, Josep Borrell, asking for logistical and training support to help government forces halt the armed incursions in Cabo Delgado.
The EU replied on October 9, confirming its support and a deepening of discussions on aid was announced last week, two months after Mozambique’s formal request.
More than 2 300 people have died in the violence that began three years ago, including reports of mass beheadings earlier this month.
The war has already displaced more than 500 000 people in the province where Total SE plans to spend $20 billion on a natural-gas export project.