Harare(New Ziana) – Public health control measures, including a level four national lockdown, in place for more than two weeks now, have resulted in a marked decline of new COVID-19 cases in areas previously designated as hotspots, the Ministry of Health and Child Care has said.
Places including Harare, Kariba and Hurungwe had been declared hot spots as COVID-19 cases spurred by the highly infectious and deadly delta variant rapidly increased over the past weeks.
But, the government instituted measures including a strict curfew, and the extended closure of schools has borne positive results.
“Cases in the areas previously designated as hot-spots have been declining due to public health control measures being implemented as surveillance continues in these areas,” the Ministry said in its latest daily COVID-19 update.
“(At least) 345 new cases and 17 deaths (were) reported today (Saturday). The seven day rolling average for new cases falls to 566 today from 580 yesterday (Friday).”
The Ministry said the national recovery rate stood at 80 percent with active cases now down to 19 047.
“As of 14 August 2021, Zimbabwe has recorded 119 853 cases, 96 716 recoveries and 4 090 deaths,” it said.
Meanwhile, the Ministry said Zimbabwe’s vaccination drive continued to gather momentum.
“(At least) 22 959 received their first dose today (Saturday) bringing cumulative for first dose to 2 036 299 while 18 694 received their second dose bringing cumulative for second dose to 1 198 381 as at 1600hrs (on Saturday).”