Govt determined to contain 4th wave
Harare, December 7, 2021 (New Ziana) – Covid-19 vaccination teams will be deployed at bus termini across the country as government ramps up efforts for the country to reach herd immunity and to contain the looming fourth wave of infections, a Cabinet Minister has said.
Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa said the decision was in light of rising infections recorded in the past two weeks.
She said as at December 6, the country’s cumulative COVID-19 cases stood at 141 601 including 128 966 recoveries and 4 713 deaths.
“Accordingly, Cabinet adopted the following additional measures: Government will be establishing vaccination sites at the main intra and inter-city bus termini, so as to ensure that those not vaccinated but wish to do so can have doses administered before they board the public transport,” she said.
“Please note that there will be a time when people will not be allowed to board public transport without a valid vaccination card.”
Mutsvangwa said the Ministry of Health and Child Care would also continue its vaccination blitz of the 16-to-17 year age group in schools.
To complement government efforts, Mutsvangwa urged citizens to strictly observe health safety protocols and lockdown measures put in place last week.
The new lockdown regulations, although still relaxed at level two, include an elongated curfew period.
Meanwhile, she said the national vaccination programme continued to gather momentum.
She said as of Monday, a total of 3 882 255 first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine had been administered, while 2 892 366 people had received their second dose.
“The cumulative number of 1st and 2nd doses of vaccines administered during the week under review increased to 190 899 from the 148 980 administered the previous week, indicating that the total number of doses administered during the week had increased,” Mutsvangwa said.
“On the procurement of vaccines, it is advised that 1.25 million doses of Sinopharm vaccines were delivered on 6 December 2021, constituting the first batch of the 2.5 million doses procured. The remaining 1.25 million vaccines of the order are expected before the end of the week.
“The country is also expecting a donation of one million doses from the People’s Republic of China. Government assures the citizenry that the country has adequate stocks of Personal Protective Equipment, sanitisers and medicines required for supportive management of COVID-19. ”
Comments are closed.