Govt disbursed devolution funds- Ziyambi

450

Harare (New Ziana) -The Zimbabwe government has disbursed all funds allocated for Devolution and it is now left to local authorities to implement priority projects, the National Assembly heard on Wednesday.

Leader of Government Business, who is also Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ziyambi Ziyambi told legislators during the question and answer session that all beneficiaries had received Devolution funds.

The devolution programme got a big shot in the arm in the 2022 national budget with an allocation of $45.5 billion, up from $19.5 billion in 2021.

“As far as we are concerned, Treasury has released all funds. All provinces were treated equally by government,” said Ziyambi.

Legislators wanted to know why there was uneven progress in different provinces in terms of road rehabilitation.

Ziyambi said all local authorities had been asked to identify priority roads for rehabilitation under the government’s Emergency Road Rehabilitation Program, and those to be fixed using Devolution funds.

“Its not an exercise that is being undertaken by central government alone but local authorities are also involved in ensuring that they identify roads that they are supposed to rehabilitate using Devolution funds.

“Under the ERRP, local authorities were asked to identify roads to be rehabilitated in the first and second phase.

“Local authorities are getting devolution funds and they are supposed to rehabilitate roads on their own.”

The devolution agenda, reintroduced under the Second Republic, allows provincial governments to determine how they will use their resources and budgets as a key pillar for achieving the vision to achieve an upper middle income economy by 2030.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa has since committed to intensifying the devolution program to ensure previously under-developed areas catch up with the rest of the country.

New Ziana

Comments are closed.