Kids’ game goes awry, kills gogo

70

By Delight Dokotera

CHILDREN like to play games, any games.
However, for children at Old Retreat Farm in Mashonaland Central Province, playing house games has cost the life of their grandmother.
The 84-year-old grandmother from Old Retreat Farm reportedly died from burns she suffered after her hut was gutted by fire. The fire was ignited by her grandchild, who was playing house, a fortnight ago.
According to Mashonaland Central police spokesperson, Sergeant Major Samuel Chikasha, the grandmother has been identified as Beauty Shembure.
On 5 October, 2022 at around 2pm a child, aged seven, was playing house while attempting to cook sadza with an open fire.
However, the fire rapidly spread to a thatched bathroom where the grandmother was doing her laundry.
The bathroom was engulfed by flames and burnt Shembure.
Her relative, Newword Simao, later came to her rescue and retrieved her.
Shembure was rushed to Bindura Hospital and later to Parirenyatwa Hospital to recieve advanced treatment.
On 16 October, Shembure succumbed to the burns and died and the minor was taken into his uncle’s custody.
ZRP Mashonaland Central police spokesperson, Seargent Major Samuel Chikasha, urged parents to monitor their children closely and restrain them from playing with fire.
“Parents must not allow their children to pay with fire starters including matches, as this is another incident recorded in the region where a person dies due to house play gone wrong”, said Chikasha.

Comments are closed.