Two miners suffocate in Gokwe mine

83

Praise Chenyedzai and Kennedy Mutore

GOKWE — Two artisanal miners suffocated after inhaling too much carbon dioxide in a mine shaft in Gokwe last Tuesday afternoon.
The two were identified as Irke Linda (27) and Benjamin Shona (26) who suffocated in a mine shaft at Matanda Village under Chief Njelele in Gokwe.
It is alleged that Linda was lowered into the mine shaft using a rope. Due to too much carbon inside the shaft, Linda shouted for help and his colleague Shona entered the shaft and tried to rescue him.
The two miners however, succumbed to suffocation due to too much carbon.
Other miners entered the shaft with a compressor to blow the carbon but were shocked to find Linda and Shona already dead.
Police spokesperson Inspector Emmanuel Mahoko confirmed the deaths saying he two bodies were retrieved.
He urged small scale miners to seek guidance from Ministry of Mines and Mining Development in putting effective safety measures in their work.

Comments are closed.