Hwange woman electrocuted to death

56

Staff Writer

People living in Hwange Colliery houses in Madumabisa should engage qualified electricians in their homes should the need arise in order for them to avoid unnecessary deaths due to electrocution.
The appeal follows the recent electrocution of a woman and that of the razing down of another house in the area.
The 41-year-old Lilian Mhlanga was electrocuted when she switched on a light in her fowl run while on a different occasion a Hwange Colliery house in Number 1 C Sections destroyed by fire emanating from a suspected electrical fault.
While residents are adamant that the colliery attend to the problems that have killed one person and destroyed another house, the police have pleaded with them to desist from tampering with electricity connections and engage qualified personnel.
“We are not safe in these colliery houses and whenever we raise our concerns over the state of the houses, we are told to move out of the houses and relocate to other places such as Empumalanga,” said Mike Phiri a Hwange resident.
“We have tried to engage the Hwange Colliery Housing Committee but they are not forthcoming,” he continued.
According to Matabeleland North Police Spokesperson Insp Glory Banda, on October 27 at around 7pm Mhlanga entered a fowl run intending to feed her chickens. When switching on the lights, she was electrocuted and fell.
“Her daughter who later followed her to the fowl run, found her lying on the floor. She tried to hold her by her hand but she was also jolted by the electricity. She called out for help and it was only when an electric breaker was stripped down by one of the neighbours that they managed to remove Lilian Mhlanga from the fowl run,” said Banda.
Mhlanga was taken to St Patricks Hospital where she was pronounced dead upon arrival.
Police Hwange together with Electrical Engineers from Hwange Colliery Company Limited attended the scene. It was observed that the electricity connection from the house to the fowl run was illegal and some electricity conductors were not insulated.
As a result, the police are urging members of the public to do proper tubing and wiring of their fowl runs and outdoor workshops to avoid cases of electrocution by negative wires.

Comments are closed.