Second measles vaccination on cards

37

Harare (New Ziana) – The Ministry of Health and Child Care has announced a second vaccination campaign against measles in some parts of the country most affected by last year’s outbreak of the disease.

Measles broke out in several parts of the country last year, prompting the government to carry out a nation-wide vaccination campaign for children aged five and below.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health and Child Care said the second vaccination campaign, unlike the first, will only be confined to areas that were most affected, to prevent the re-surfacing of the disease.

Last year’s outbreak is thought to have been a spill-over of earlier measles outbreaks in neighbouring Mozambique and South Africa, due to heavy cross border movement among the three countries.

Fresh vaccinations will be carried out in eight districts of the country between January 30, 2023 and February 10, 2023, and target children between the ages of five and below 15.

This will cover Chiredzi, Gutu, Bikita and Mwenezi districts in Masvingo province, Chikomba and Goromonzi districts in Mashonaland East province, Chipinge district in Manicaland province, and Mazowe district in Mashonaland Central province.

The vaccinations will be carried out in schools and health centres in the districts, which suffered the most in last year’s measles outbreak.

“The second phase of the measles vaccination will take place from 30 January to 10 February 2023 targeting children aged 5 years to below 15 years in the most affected districts,” the Ministry said.

“Repeated measles rubella vaccinations do not harm your child. They provide additional protection against measles. If any child is suspected of having measles, they should be brought to the nearest health facility for care,” it added.

“Zimbabwe experienced an outbreak of measles in the year 2022. Measles is a dangerous disease that can cause serious health complications and death especially among unvaccinated children.”

New Ziana

Comments are closed.