Woman dies after eating chicken

Sharon Chikowore


PEOPLE should take preventive measures when fumigating crops especially during this
time of the year, while also avoiding eating animals they are not aware how they died,
police have suggested.
The suggestion comes after a 24-year-old woman, Nyasha Muzanenhamo, of Farm
number 313 Chitomborwizi, died after eating a chicken that had died after consuming
rat poison.
Mashonaland West Police spokesperson, Inspector Margaret Chitove, confirmed that in
the evening on July 3, Muzanenhamo applied maize fumigating tablets to her kitchen
hut, intending to kill rats.
The following day, Muzanenhamo left her kitchen door open and two of her chickens
entered and fed on the poison, which was meant for rats. The chickens died.
Instead of Muzanenhamo burning or burying the dead chickens, she decided to roast
the chickens for her consumption. She took a piece of meat from the chicken.
But two hours later, around 8pm Muzanenhamo started complaining of stomach pains.
Her father-in-law suggested going to Gamanya Clinic in Chitomborwizi, but she died
before she reached the clinic.
The matter was reported to ZRP Zvimba and the body was taken to Chinhoyi Provincial
Hospital for post mortem. Investigations are underway.

Comments are closed.