Two children die in inferno

New Ziana > Breaking > Two children die in inferno

Harare, (New Ziana) – Police have launched investigations into a suspected murder case after two children perished in a fire allegedly started by their father following a domestic dispute in Eastview, Harare, in the early hours of Monday.

National police spokesperson, Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident in a statement, identifying the victims as Adline Muyengwa (5) and Rapafadzo Muyengwa (2). The children allegedly died after the room in which they were sleeping was allegedly deliberately set alight by their father, Gift Muyengwa (24), at around 2:30am in Eastview Phase 10, Mabuvuku.

Nyathi said preliminary investigations indicate that the fatal incident stemmed from a domestic dispute between the suspect and his wife. The woman reportedly managed to escape from the house before the fire spread and sought help from nearby residents.

However, by the time she returned with neighbours, the blaze had already engulfed the cabin cottage, leaving the bodies of the two children burnt beyond recognition.

Police said the suspect was later found outside the burning structure with injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment. He is currently under police guard as investigations continue.

Nyathi urged members of the public to seek peaceful ways of resolving domestic disagreements before they escalate into violence.

“The Zimbabwe Republic Police urges the public to resolve domestic disputes peacefully and seek assistance from relatives, community leaders, counsellors or the police before conflicts escalate into tragic loss of life,” he said.

Police have appealed to families experiencing conflict to prioritize dialogue and professional intervention, stressing that early reporting and counselling can help prevent avoidable tragedies.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the deaths are continuing.

New Ziana

Most Popular
error: Content is protected !!