Government urged to stop Harare demolitions after St Martin’s houses razed

New Ziana > Local News > Government urged to stop Harare demolitions after St Martin’s houses razed

By Sharon Tawuya

Harare, (New Ziana)- The government should intervene and stop the City of Harare from demolishing homes following the recent razing of houses in St Martins area near the 1 Commando Barracks, a legislator has said.

Harare South legislator Trymore Kanupula on Tuesday raised a point of national interest in the National Assembly calling for the suspension of demolitions in some suburbs in the capital without court orders.

Last week, the City of Harare demolished several houses in Harare’s St. Martin’s suburb, arguing that they were built illegally, despite having sold the land to dozens of residents, including its workers.

Harare South MP Trymore Kanupula accused the City of Harare of carrying out the demolitions even though it had approved the St. Martin’s Housing project and servicing was underway.

“Mr. Speaker Sir, what worsens the situation is that the City of Harare is said to have received the land intrinsic value from the affected residents when they intended to demolish their structures. It is a direct violation of the Constitution of Zimbabwe,” he said.

Kanupula urged the Minister of Local Government and Public Works to intervene.

He proposed three measures which include the immediate suspension of further demolitions in Harare pending a comprehensive audit, an investigation by responsible authorities into the circumstances surrounding the allocation of land in the affected areas and the roles of all stakeholders, and a verification exercise of all affected areas.

Kanupula also called for the findings and recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry into the sale of State land in and around Harare to be tabled in the National Assembly at the earliest opportunity to guide policy and regularisation efforts.

“While the need for proper urban development is acknowledged, such processes must be undertaken in a human, consultative and lawful manner that upholds the rights and dignity of every citizen,” Kanupula said.

The Speaker of the National Assembly, Advocate Jacob Mudenda, said the matter would be referred to the Minister of Local Government and Public Works for action.

New Ziana

Most Popular
error: Content is protected !!